Friday, May 1, 2009

My aesthetic and Turner vs. Rothko



Characterize my aesthetic:
I would say my aesthetic would be characterized as classical and expressionist. I do enjoy pieces of art the usually have some more depth meaning to the painting then what is just placed upon the canvas. My favorite medium to be used is oil painting for the colors are much more crisped and brighter, but this is also up to change from time to time depending on the different pieces of works.

Turners first paintings are expressionistic they are vague and suggestive. His later work showed more of a defined outlines but he still held on to his talent of play with lights and colors. Comparing both Turners and Rothko’s works was difficult at first but when you get right down to it the elements are similar. Both Turner and Rothko used an expressionistic style and they also both play with the aspect of light. When looking at Rothko’s works I will admit that a more imagination is needed to see any sort of characteristics. It’s hard to imaging but at times it felt that Rothko was trying to paint a sunset or in one case I felt that I was looking at a doorway, but he uses nothing more difficult then two different colors and uses tones and tints. Turners’ earlier works were smaller and more of suggestive styles but his later works were larger and more defined there is not as much guessing involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment