Thursday, May 14, 2009

British Museum

The Great Court room is the beginning to my journey in the British Museum. It’s not a bad way to start the museum it gave me a sense of welcome. The court room has a large and beautiful window ceiling that allows large amounts of light into the spacious room. I enjoy the design of diamonds the window makes. With the room being made of white stone makes the room even lighter. The stair case gives the feeling that the room is made for royalty, gives an elegant touch to room. The entry ways into different sections of the library have columns and similar features as buildings in Roman times.






“Battle of the Lapiths and Centaurs” I had seen these pieces earlier on a previous trip to the British Museum. At that time I did not understand the story behind them. Now knowing the story I understand the statues and why they are fighting. In each setting it goes back and forth on who is winning, the centaurs or the Lapiths. Although the sculptures are damaged and missing some non-attached pieces the sequence is a great piece of work. The detail in each setting is exquisite; it’s as if you can see the movement in the figures. No two plates are the same, each have a unique moment of the battle.

2 comments:

  1. And I like their sleek muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hesitate to tell the story! Imagine you are not writing just for me but for those interested in London. (This is a a good test about what to put in. You'd not need but a couple of more sentences.)

    ReplyDelete